Senior Youth, Play and Community worker
16th August 2019
Working pattern: Up to August 2020 as a minimum, may be extended subject to funding
Hours: 35 per week
Salary: from £30,600 per annum plus excellent benefits
DBS check: Enhanced
Location: London Borough of Lewisham
Do you have the drive and passion to support young people?
Do you want to help young people reach their full potential?
Do you want to take the next step in your career?
Then this is the job for you!
Youth First’s mission is to support and improve young people’s lives through positive activities; adventure play and the provision of safe spaces.
Youth First is the UK’s first employee and young person led organisation. Formed from Lewisham’s Youth Service to sustain and grow youth provision for children and young people aged 8-19 (up to 25 with special needs), our core focus is on delivering exciting activities to young people in the borough of Lewisham; to provide an early intervention service to prevent escalation of young people’s needs; and support and mentor young people to achieve their full potential.
We now have fantastic roles available for Senior Youth, Play & Community workers.
Senior Youth & Play Worker
- Manage a youth centre or adventure playground
- Manage a team of youth and play workers
- Plan and deliver a programme of universal and targeted activities for young people (aged 8-19 and up to 25 with special needs) at either a youth centre; adventure playground or on an outreach basis
- Encourage creativity and safe, inclusive approaches focussing on young people’s social development; safeguarding and early intervention in order to prevent escalation of young people’s needs
- Provide advice and support for young people
- Manage own budget
- Work in partnership with external agencies
- Maximise site usage and ensure health and safety procedures are followed
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety procedures and data protection
- Commitment to safeguard young people and promote their welfare
- Undertake administrative tasks including report writing
- Strong commitment to young people and a thorough knowledge of the issues facing young people
- Working knowledge and understanding of the principles of youth work
- Educated to NVQ Level 3 or above qualification in Youth or Community work or equivalent in similar field or substantial experience.
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience of working directly with young people.
- Experience of supporting, delivering and evaluating high quality sessions and activities for young people
- Awareness of safeguarding; health and safety and data protection practices
- Experience of managing staff
- Must be able to commit to flexible working hours as and when necessary
- Understanding of health and safety at work and risk assessments
- Able to use MS Office
- Report writing
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Solution focussed with can do attitude
- This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check
What you can expect
- Youth First will give you the opportunity to advance your skills and become a shareholder of Youth First
- Flexible working
- Excellent pension package with Standard Life
- Occupational sick pay subject to service
- Competitive salary
- 26 days holiday per year plus bank holidays
- Committed management team giving continuous support
- High performance is recognised and rewarded
- Training courses in a variety of topics
- Cycle to work scheme
- Computer loan scheme
- Employee Forums
- Employee Excellence Award
- Diverse workforce
- Staff socials
How to apply
If you have the skills and experience required for this role, please send a covering letter and CV addressing the shortlisting criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the application form below.
Interviews will be week commencing: 9 September 2019
Closing date: Sunday 16 August 2019
Download the job description:
|SeniorYPCW_JobDescription_1 7 19.doc||185.5 KB|
Download our application form:
Youth First Application Form
Youth First application and recruitment process:
YF Recruitment Guidance Document