Street based Youth Workers
Closes on: 25th October 2020
DBS check: Enhanced
Location: Borough of Lewisham
Do you have the drive and passion to support young people?
Do you want to help young people reach their full potential?
Then this is the job for you!
Youth First’s mission is to support and improve young people’s lives through positive activities, adventure play and the provision of safe spaces.
Thanks to exciting Children in Need grant funding, we are now recruiting a new street-based youth work team. You will be part of a team based in areas of need in Lewisham, building a rapport with young people. Through positive interactions with young people, you will build relationships, provide Covid-safe advice, encourage young people back into education and training, and signpost them to support services. Working as part of a team, your role will be essential to building the confidence and awareness of the young people you meet.
Youth First is the UK’s first employee and young person led organisation. Formed from Lewisham’s Youth Service to sustain and grow youth provision for children and young people aged 8-19 (up to 25 with special needs), our core focus is on delivering exciting activities to young people in the borough of Lewisham; to provide an early intervention service to prevent escalation of young people’s needs; and support and mentor young people to achieve their full potential.
Previous experience of working with young people would be an advantage.
Working Pattern: Part Time (Various)
Hours: Three 9 hour posts (3 x 3 hourly sessions per week) at £10.91 per hour (additional hours may be available during peak times)
Must be available between hours of 3-9pm – Monday to Fridays – some contracts may include Saturday working
Salary: Starting from £10.91 per hour
Contract: Up to March 2022, as a minimum, may be extended subject to funding
- Working knowledge and understanding of the ethics and principles of youth work, including strategies that encourage social inclusion and promote the empowerment and participation of young people
- Strong commitment to young people and a thorough knowledge of the issues facing young people
- Educated to NVQ Level 2 or above qualification in Youth or Community work (or equivalent) in similar field or substantial experience.
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience of working directly with young people.
- Awareness of safeguarding; health and safety and data protection practices
- Must be able to commit to flexible working hours as and when necessary
- Able to use MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check
What you can expect
- Youth First will give you the opportunity to advance your skills
- Flexible working
- Excellent pension package with Standard Life
- Occupational sick pay subject to service
- Competitive salary
- 26 days holiday per year plus bank holidays – pro rata for part time employees
- Committed management team giving continuous support
- High performance is recognised and rewarded
- Training courses in a variety of topics
- Cycle to work scheme
- Computer loan scheme
- Employee Forums
- Employee Excellence Award
- Diverse workforce
- Staff socials
How to apply
Please read the job description, complete the application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be week commencing: 16 November, 2020
Closing date: Sunday, 25 October, 2020
Download the relevant files :
|JD for Streetbased Youth Workers 2.10.20.doc||186.5 KB|
|Recruitment_Guidance Notes_YF_6 1 20_GDPR.doc||1.43 MB|