Youth, Play and Community Manager
5th July 2021
Hours: 36 hours per week, full time, permanent
Salary: £31,254-£33,617 per annum, plus excellent benefits
Location: Lewisham Borough, South East London
Youth First has an exciting opportunity for a Youth Work manager to provide leadership and management to a team of Youth and Play workers based in the borough of Lewisham.
About the role
The Youth Work Manager is an exciting and challenging management role leading a team of Youth Workers, and taking operational responsibility for the 6 day a week universal and targeted youth work offer.
Youth First is inviting applications from dynamic, forwarding thinking Youth, Play and Community workers to lead a team of youth workers and manage our sites in the Lewisham borough. This role will manage operations for a universal and targeted youth work offer; maximisation of site usage, income generation, partnership working and youth and community outreach.
We are specifically seeking those who see youth and playwork as a vocation and who share our passion for supporting young people to become successful and resilient adults. This role is for those that understand the wide ranging challenges facing young people and can flexibly adjust their practice to actively and demonstrably meet these needs.
As Youth Work Manager you will need to have high standards, creativity and ambition for young people, as well as a can-do attitude and willingness to get hands on and involved in the delivery. You will also need to bring with you the following skills and experience:
- Substantial experience of youth work, including in open access environments with a core focus on delivering activities to young people aged 8 to 19 (up to 25 with SEN) in order to support their social development, safeguarding and early intervention in order to prevent escalation of young people’s needs.
- Experience of leading and managing youth work activities and a knowledge of issues affecting young people
- Experience of managing staff and volunteers, leading a team to achieve targets and key performance indicators
- A track record of successful project or programme management
- Experience of managing budgets and resources
- Ability to relate both the local community, parents and young people from all backgrounds
- Good working knowledge of MS Office
- You will be employed to work for 36 hours per week, which will be usually be worked between Monday and Saturday and could include evenings up to 9.30pm.
Please note this position is subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
- Experience of effective delivery of projects and initiatives for young people.
- Experience of managing direct front line youth work and delivering high quality services to young people with efficient and effective use of resources
- Experience of designing, and applying effective youth work strategies which demonstrate impact on young people in a positive manner both individually and through management of a team.
- Experience of managing staff and volunteers
- Evidence of initiatives with young people in addressing Equal Opportunities, Social Inclusion and diversity
- Working knowledge and understanding of the ethics and principles of youth work, including strategies that encourage social inclusion, and promote the empowerment and participation of young people and a thorough knowledge of the issues currently facing young people.
- Professional qualification in Youth and Community Work at NVQ 4 level (minimum) or relevant equivalent degree level and/ or substantial experience with the expectation of working towards a recognised qualification within a year.
Please see Job Description for Essential requirements
What you can expect
- Youth First will give you the opportunity to advance your skills
- Flexible working
- Excellent pension package with Standard Life
- Occupational sick pay subject to service
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday per year plus bank holidays
- Committed management team giving continuous support
- High performance is recognised and rewarded
- Training courses in a variety of topics
- Cycle to work scheme
- Computer loan scheme
- Employee Forum
- Employee Excellence Award
- Diverse workforce
- Staff socials
About Youth First
Youth First’s mission is to support and improve young people’s lives through positive activities; adventure play and the provision of safe spaces.
Youth First is the UK’s first employee and young person led organisation. Formed from Lewisham’s Youth Service to sustain and grow youth provision for children and young people aged 8-19 (up to 25 with special needs), our core focus is on delivering exciting activities to young people in the borough of Lewisham; to provide an early intervention service to prevent escalation of young people’s needs; and support and mentor young people to achieve their full potential.
How to apply
If you have the skills and experience required for this role, please visit www.youthfirst.org.uk for further details about the post. Please complete the application form on the Youth First website or send a covering letter and CV addressing the shortlisting criteria to email@example.com.
Interviews will be week commencing: 26 July 2021
Closing date: Monday 5 July 2021, 9am
Download the relevant files :
|YouthFirst_Application_Form_9 2 21.docx||39.36 KB|
|YPCM_JobDescription_5 2 21.docx||124.87 KB|