Our safeguarding commitment
Youth First will:
- promote the general safety and well-being of all.
- take steps to minimise the possibility that harm, exploitation, abuse and neglect occur, which includes being drawn into terrorism and violent extremism.
- develop trusting and respectful relationships with those we work with, recognising that they have rights as individuals and should be treated with dignity and respect and in doing so, provide them with a safe and supportive environment.
- take steps to ensure those involved in our organisation and the work we do are not discriminated against, by us, through being a child, or on grounds of age, sex, gender, disability, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation, appearance or cultural background, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.
- act quickly and appropriately where there are safeguarding concerns.
To meet this commitment, we will ensure that:
- every Youth First staff member, and any organisation we work with, has access to the safeguarding policy and guidance and understands their role and responsibilities, which includes what to do if they have a concern.
- we actively create safe and supportive environments for everyone involved in our organisation
- there are appropriate risk assessments in place for all our programmes and activities.
- we encourage the active participation of children and adults in keeping themselves and others safe, encouraging them to voice their concerns and know where and how to seek help if needed.
- effective procedures are in place for responding to safeguarding concerns.
- we practice safe recruitment in checking the suitability of Youth First staff members, especially those who work with children or adults at risk.
- the safeguarding policy and guidance meet the requirements of legislation and statutory guidance (England and Wales) and the Charity Commission.
- the organisation continues to monitor the implementation of the safeguarding policy and guidance and take any measures required to strengthen and improve existing practice.
Working with partners and other organisations
When we work with partners and other external organisations we will provide guidance about safeguarding and our respective responsibilities. Where appropriate, a signed service level agreement or contract will be in place, which confirms the safeguarding policy and guidance have been shared and meet the required standards and we are confident that all appropriate steps have been taken to safeguard young people and adults. Therefore, as well as understanding Youth First's safeguarding policy, partners and other external organisations must ensure all Youth First's staff members have access to their own safeguarding policies and guidance.